Saturday, June 09, 2007

new dye efforts




These are a few dye experiments I did quickly today.The pink/blue and multi coloured raspberry,alpine,mulberry and oak are handspun Cheviot which came out fairly coarse and doomed to be cabled tea cosies for want of any other small item I could use it for but I love the colours never the less.





The small skein of pink and greyish tone is a ball of Bluebell,probably a pair of childs mittens if theres enough. The bright green and red oranges are the efforts of my two youngest boys who have requested mittens this winter,have to get started on them.....



Lastly is the 400g total of BFL that I found in a bag of forgotten dyeing lot I did a little while ago,looking forward to spinning them and most likely socks but starting to think of other things.



I would love to dye and spin enough for a vest but I have a problem of spinning too fine which makes it a problem when I would love to do the vest from the last Knitty where the V is steaked,Yep Im game to actually cut my knitting.....



My big news is an upcoming trip to Dubbo to see my Nan and then out to Louth to see Mum and Dad.Hope I dont get rained in as the ground is black flood country and 20points means not going anywhere.This may create a problem as Im renting an Overlander and dont want to get stuck......On another bit of interest,the property mentioned on the lower part of information page is my parents home,funny to think my interest in fibre and sheep is maybe stemmed from the fact I grew up on one of Australias historical wool growing( shearing approx 184000 sheep in its hayday) properties. I will take some photos and make a special post just about our trip!!!



The best part is not just seeing my older fav relatives but also to catch up with my Aunty who is into spinning in a big way and has several wheels.Also her oldest daughter,my cousin is another highly crafted person! If time permits I may see her sister as well from near Narrabri. In fact spinning in my Dads family is fairly strong as my Grandmother was one of the foundation spinning members in Bourke group!



With all this I would definitely love to take Vicky to do some spinning.(have visions of spinning on Nannas and Mums back yard in the warm afternoon sun but I have too much luggage....)



This trip includes flying from Kalgourlie to Perth,then Sydney where we ll catch the connecting flight to Dubbo.Hubby has very kindly spooked me in his infinite wisdom saying that I and Son No 2(who is lucky to come with me, see previous post,hes the one will MORE hair than everyone there) have to catch a train from the International Airport to the domestic Mascot one.... shall be an interesting day,Friday the 22nd,glad its not Black Friday!



Another thing is that Im coming home in time to spend my last 3 days off work at home and hope to spend that helping Hubby renovate but will definetly include a lunch date with friends and one with Hubby somewhere......



By this auspicious date I shall ,I mean SHALL have an almost completed Kitchen and back verandah!.....................................

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck and have a fun trip!!
    The dyed yarn looks great. I have been too much of a whimp to use my wheel yet, bit more research to go before I try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done with the yarn.
    Keep going with the spinning, I'm sure with practice you'll manage to spin finer yarns, and you can always try with your rellies and get tips on ways to improve. At least you are using your wheel. My daughter bought one, tried maybe once, and has decided it's too difficult for her (she can be very impatient) and is now thinking of selling it.
    Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read my comments ..
    Re the vest ..yes it is .I was a bit worried but in fact it stretches nicely ..I would like to make a sixe smaller next time .I have worn it ..in a much nice way tha n that photo and had some nice comments .
    I made the bottom part shorter than instructed butnext time willmake it an inch shorter ...again the stretch factor .( .5" will suit me better ....)

    ReplyDelete